anyone who says that sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain


-author unknown

Tuesday 29 March 2011

Sunshine and slang..

My room never sees the sun. I have a lovely view of a brick wall and the sun never sees my window. As much of a winter person as I am, rooms that are gloomy ALL the time make me gloomy too. I miss being able to lay on my bed in the warm rays of the sun. I'd give anything to switch to the opposite side of res. Would be amazing.

I'm not having a very happy day by the way, in case you haven't noticed. I decided to have a little snooze before lunch (I was bunking my journalism lecture - they are soooo boring!!). So about 30 minutes before I actually have to wake up, i had a repeat performance of yesterday. Someone decides to SCREAM, not just call loudly, but literally shout for her friend down my corridor. And when she doesn't get an answer, what do you think she does?? Yes, she does it again, and louder. The hairs on the back of my neck were sparking, I swear!! Sure, it's not quiet time, but flip, screaming is not inducive to happy people!! Hellloooooooo.. So anyway, that wasn't cool. Instant bad mood. I'm about to go and check my Psychology marks for my first test so that should be interesting. Very nervous!! First university test results.

I'm sick again. There was a bug trapped between my curtain and the window last night when i went to bed. So, I left my window open so that it could free itself anytime it felt like it. Pity it was cold outside and I breathed in cold air all night. Hate having the sniffles!! Had them for like 3 weeks and they finally went away and then that prehistoric insect looking bug thing went and messed things up. Joy.

Ok, what I do when i blog is I sometimes start a post and then have to run so i save it and come back to it later. Which is what I've done today, having to go to a history lecture and all. My mood has improved!! Very happy to announce this. An sms from my boyfriend and an 80% for my first test made me smile!! And of course my earphones plugged into my ears. Those helped. Serious fluctuation of emotions and moods today!! Think I have settled on this one though. Oh, and I solved the problem of no sunshine: I found my old necklace with a sun pendant. Wearing it = constant sunshine =)

So, the Grahamstown slang, as promised.

You have to be careful of your word choice here because there are a few words that mean more than what we are used to. Observe:

  • Naps: not considered as the exercise i performed before lunch. Naps at Rhodes refer to something more uh, devious??..sinister??..i really don't want to say sexual although that's what it is. Ah!! Journalistic skill, come on. It's sexual. It means that you are going to some body's res to have a little booty call. We have afternoon naps, morning naps and then just plain anytime naps. I suppose it's a nice euphemism for "the nasty" isn't it??
  • Lunge:Ah, to lunge. Not to jump quickly or move in a decisive manner, noooo. Nothing like that, although almost the same. Same same, just different ;). Ok, so, people say "I pulled in to kiss her/him/it!" We say "I lunged him/her/it!" Not necessarily a bad word, but you don't wanna be lunged by that tall creepy guy who tried to get with EVERYONE and succeeded with NO ONE at Friars on Saturday night. The guy you've been eyeing for weeks lunging you is, however, a very good thing!
  • Mare: To drink. To party. To get sloshed. To kuier, pola, puza, celebrate. You understand. This happens on Cougar Mondays(will discuss this in a minute), Tipsy/2 for 1 Tuesdays, Wacky Wednesdays, Thirsty Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays. Ample opportunity to mare. Also,
  • get mared: to get drunk.
    (good god we don't sound like we are a university with very high moral values in its students, do we??)
  • Seal Clubbing: the act of hunting first years in order to have naps or lunge them. Mostly a male sport. We will get to the females now.
  • Cougar Monday: House of Pirates (a local watering hole) has Cougar Mondays. Its the ladies night. And we (not me) take advantage of this. We are allowed to pick on those yummy school boys or (for the non-first year girls) those naive first years.
  • BP run: missioning down to BP (petrol station/cafe) to stock up on neccessary items. Usually food.
  • Mission: to go somewhere. To depart from something towards another thing. "Let's mission down the hill to Steers."
Right now though I have to mission to supper as my tummy is not happy with its current empty situation. I know I'll think of more slang as soon as i hit "Post" so expect another tutorial!!

Ciao =)

No comments:

Post a Comment