anyone who says that sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain


-author unknown

Friday 25 March 2011

Sweet, chocolate freedom!!

MY FIRST HISTORY ESSAY IS BEHIND ME!!


Didn't think that history would suck this much. I loved it at school, but university is a completely different kettle of smelly fish! Definitely going to drop that subject the end of this semester or the next one.. What do I take in its place though?? Another thing to think about!! My brain is fried i tell you.
So much is different here though. Not a bad thing, but just a thing.
My high school which, unfortunately for me, is situated in a very Afrikaans town where you will suffer death-by-dirty-looks if you ever had to roam around barefoot, a fat peace sign painted onto your shirt, with your culturally diverse group of friends and a Black Label/cigarette in your hand. That ish is not done there. But I've done it and I don't care what the tannies and ooms thought. This is one of the reasons why I love Rhodes so much. Whoever you are is who you are free to be here.


During O-week, we had the race issue shoved down our throats and it struck me how we all say that we aren't racists or judgemental but I caught myself several times thinking or acting like the person I don't want to be. My friend Steph moved to America when she was very young and came back here to study. The area she lived in had none of this nonsense we go through and think of as normal. We were having a house discussion about it during O-week and she burst into tears and at that point I realised how behind our thought patterns are. Rhodes is slowly reversing my thought patterns and I can see it reversing other people's thought patterns too.


There's one problem with Rhodes though and that is that my best friend in this entire world is not here with me. She needs to be here. Nadine and I met in grade 9 and have been inseperable since, despite living half an hour away from each other. She now studies in PE and I miss her something vicious!
 
We've been through everything together and could probably write each others life stories. She's the ying to my yang and no guy could ever take her place (not even the amazing boyfriend that i have, will get to him later)!! She is my soul mate this one. The drunk times, the random times, the sad times, the crazy times, the hanging times, the chilled times and the totally frikken insane times. We have them all and we have them documented!!

passing out...
 One day we are going to be sitting on her stoep or my stoep when we are old and wrinkly and toatlly spent and talk about the AMAZING lives we've lead together because her and I belive something very strongly; that life is here for us to make the most of and flip we are going to do just that!!





why oh why is the vino always gone!!

...drunk on her 18th












Think I'm going to phone her later. Feeling rather heartsore now.



No comments:

Post a Comment