anyone who says that sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain


-author unknown

Tuesday 10 May 2011

Ode to Monty

My puppy dawg is really not doing well :( -the one in the background in the picture to the left of the screen- and we might have to put him down :(. He has arthritis in his front leg shoulder joint and if the treatment doesn't start helping and soon, then he will have to go to doggy heaven.

We got him when I was in grade 1 or 2 and he was a champion dog that the breeders used to take to shows and they won prizes and stuff and when they discovered that he had a skew tooth, he couldn't compete anymore. So the breeders gave him away. They GAVE AWAY a 100% pedigree staffy because of a skew tooth. His name was monster then because he is sooooo hyper and full of buck and bounce, but we soon realised that he was a gentle giant, albeit a very clumsy, hyper one. So we started calling him Monsty instead. Inevitably this was shortened to Monty and Monty he has been ever since.

He has had biliary twice and he once ran face first into a roll of barbed wire. He was so hyper one day when my dad was walking them at the dam near our old house in Benoni, Johannesburg (for those geographically challenged individuals), that when my dad tried to call him back to heel, he just turned his head back, but carried on running. Anyway, he has a scar along his jaw now and I think it adds to his charm. Such a sweet pups with a scar on his snout. The amount of trauma he has survived is amazing! he is meant to live a loooong ass life!

He licks his lips when you pat him and his back leg flies around when you tickle his tummy. And he genuinely thinks that he's still a puppy. He jumps onto my mom's lap without a second thought about squashing her or something.

He's a goof. Just like Goofy, only worse. And we thought Roxy would be the first to have serious health issues because she's so chubby (I refuse to call her fat!). Seriously hope my little Monts machine gets better. :( and I'm not at home if he doesn't so I won't be able to say goodbye. Just like I wasn't there to say goodbye to my poor birdy!!

Funny story actually.

Lulu, our (late) budgie was a little bitch. No other way to describe her. She was sociable enough and would let you take her out of her cage, but she really thought she was a terradactyl or something! Never seen another bird with such attitude. We once put her on Monty's nose and he was so relaxed he just kinda looked up at her with the cutest squint eyes and she nipped him on his nose. He sneezed and shook his head and looked at us as if to say, "Haha, that was awkward" complete with the wagging tail. And Lulu stood there like "Yeah Bitch!!" *airpunch*

Anyway, now that you know how gentle Monty is and how vicious Lulu was; my dad would often take Lulu around on his shoulder as we all would, but he used to go outside with her to his workshop. One day, while I'm here in Grahamstown, my dad goes out to his workshop with her on his shoulder and for some reason she was spooked and flew off his shoulder which she often did, but her wing had been clipped so she never went far before crash landing (quite gracefully I must admit). Well, she crash landed with her claws in the base of Monty's tail. He turned around and bit at whatever was poking his arse. And so our vicious Lulu was decapitated by our gentle Monty. I cried when I heard and if I weren't trying not to be hysterical for my mom's sake, I would've blubbed!

The next day after I had made peace with the fact that Lulu was now flying up high somewhere now and not into a dog's tail, I laughed at the situation. It was all wrong. Lulu is the decapitating type! Not Monty! Ok, that sounds really bad, but Monty is so incredibly gentle and Lulu was just I-won't-take-your-shit-and-I-don't-care-if-you-clean-my-cage-and-give-me-food and had so much attitude.

You get the picture?? Was really sad though!! And now, we have Elvis. The prettiest budgie we've had so far.

And Elvis is as mild and meek as a lamb. ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment